The Corinth Canal was finally built in the late 19th century and created a new sea route by linking the Corinthian and Saronic Gulfs. Until then, ships sailing across the Aegean and the Andriatic had to circumnavigate Peloponnese, adding about 185 nautical miles to their voyage.
The canal was built in 1882 – 1893 by Greek and French engineers using the most advanced machinery of that time. The general supervision of the enormous undertaking was in the hands of General Stepan Tupp, aide-de-camp to the King of Italy. The project was completed by the Greek Corinth Canal Company, president of which was Andreas Syggros.
The canal is 6.343 meters long, It is 24.60 meters wide on surface level, 21.30 meters on sea-bed and, at some places its sides are 79 meters high. The canal is crossed by road and railway bridges, while connection between Central Greece and Peloponnesse is also achieved by two “ferries” in the form of submersible bridges, one at either end (Poseidonia and Isthmia).